The fall is full of vibrant colors and flavors, and there is no reason you can’t enjoy both while on a paleo diet. Check out these three mouth-watering autumn soups.
1. Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
This fall-inspired recipe from Delish is likely one of the richest and creamiest paleo recipes you will find. Best of all, from start to finish, you can be eating fresh soup in about 40 minutes.
- 1 butternut squash, large, peeled, removed seeds, and cubed
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 potatoes, chopped and peeled
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 quart chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- With the oven preheated to 400 degrees, combine the butternut squash and potatoes on a large baking sheet. Toss the ingredients with two tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 25 minutes.
- Place a large pot on the stove over medium heat. Place the butter and remaining tablespoon of olive oil in the pot and mix and melt. Add the carrot, onion, and celery. Cook for seven minutes or until soft and season with salt and pepper.
- Next, add the roasted potatoes and squash to the pot. Pour the chicken broth over the top and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to mix, blend, and smooth the ingredients until creamy. You can use a blender instead but be careful. Serve and garnish.
2. Creamy Paleo Chicken Soup
Chicken soup is a winter staple. This recipe from Paleo Running Momma is quick, easy, and delicious.
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cooked (can use breast if you prefer)
- 2 sage leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 2 to 3 handfuls kale, chopped
- 2 cups white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- ½ tablespoon brown mustard (check label for dietary compliance)
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons tapioca
- 2/3 cup organic coconut milk, full fat
- 2 2/3 cups chicken bone broth
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Combine the butter and refined coconut oil in a large pan over the stove on medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the leeks, mushrooms, and garlic. Wait until all ingredients are soft, and then cook for at least two minutes.
- Whisk the tapioca and broth together. Add the kale to the saucepan over the stove along with the other veggies. Allow the kale to cook down before adding the broth and coconut milk. Combine the nutritional yeast and mustard with the elements in the saucepan.
- Bring the mix to a boil by increasing the heat. Stir thoroughly. You can lower the heat to avoid overflow but continue to stir until the soup thickens.
- Finally, add the chicken and remaining herbs — season with salt and pepper. Let the soup simmer for a few minutes before serving.
3. Creamy Cauliflower Soup
If you do not have the patience for the previous recipes, this cauliflower soup is for you. You can have dinner ready in 35 minutes.
- 1 head of cauliflower, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 32 ounce vegetable broth
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pot. Add garlic and onion, cooking until soft.
- Add vegetable broth and cauliflower. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for up to 20 minutes.
- Pour contents into a blender and mix until smooth. Add salt, serve and enjoy.
What are your favorite paleo soups?